Saturday, January 28, 2012

All Business Today...

   I'll keep this short and sweet since the last couple of entries have been marathons...


A. incline bench press: work-up to heavy 3 (15-20 minutes)
B. 1 arm bench: 12-15/arm x 2; rest 3 minutes
C1. bat wing @ 20X3: 8-10 x 3; rest 10 seconds
C2. kb clean: 8-10 x 3; rest 2 minutes
D. waiter walk: 40m/side x 3; rest 1 minute
  
    A. 77kg (last rep with a teeny bit of help)
    B. 45lb/arm x 15 x 2
    C1. 25lb x 10 x 3
    C2. 50 lb db x 10 x 2, 50 lb db x 8 (6+2)
    D. 32kg x 3


   This was another tough upper body day for me and another morning session (it was Saturday so I had no choice but to do this in the AM).  The incline bench was one kg heavier than the 3 that I did last week and I needed a little bit of help on the last rep.  I get really annoyed with myself when I need help like that and I feel a little like I failed.  I know I shouldn't do that to myself but, occasionally, I can't help it.  I looked back through my book at the last few times that I did any incline benching which, it turns out, was back in December.  My numbers now are pretty close or maybe slightly higher than what I was getting then, but it was a different protocol so it's kind of hard to say for sure.  The single arm bench work was no problem but, since I'm not that swift, I think I miscounted on the second set in the left arm.  I may have actually done 20 there.
   The bat wings felt generally pretty good.  It's a lot easier doing them as the first exercise in a couplet rather than the second.  That's probably pretty obvious to most people but, like I said, I'm not that swift.  My genius was further on display today when I misread the programming for part C2.  I missed that it clearly said kettlebell cleans and did dumbbell cleans.  This wouldn't have been huge except that I couldn't find the second 45 lb db and had to go up to 50s.  I struggled with these and wasn't able to feel much hip extension or explosion and was using a lot of my arms to get them up.  This wouldn't have been a problem with the kbs which I would have been able to work with more efficiently even at a slightly higher weight.  Way to read Phil!  Strong work!
   The waiter walks felt fine for the most part but I had to navigate a bit of an obstacle coarse of people doing double-unders and then people laying on the floor after doing double-unders.  This made these walks slightly more challenging.  I also made up the GHD work that I missed from yesterday.


  I don't have anything exciting to write about today or anything fun to link to so, here...enjoy this song by The Ramones:  







1 comment:

  1. What's up asshole. I'm always watching, so I know all about those 'not quite 60% cleans the other day'

    All kidding aside - well done. You're stronger now than before with regard to the incline. And, sounds like you're starting to gain some confidence with the jumping. Good stuff! Keep at it, and remember to enjoy it. I sent this to Carmen the other day, but it applies to you as well.

    We are always in a rush to get to the future - a place where we will finally be satisfied. However, once we finally reach the future, it vanishes into the present. I hope you get my point. Enjoy how well you're doing...enjoy how far you've come. Keep learning, keep improving...always moving forward.

    ReplyDelete