Thursday, January 19, 2012

Jumping and a movie


    I felt really great today in the gym.  I hung around the house doing some reading from OPT's blog which I always find super interesting and inspiring.  When I was at the OPTathalon in San Diego in October, James talked about finding your own personal definition of fitness.  I think about this from time to time and I think I really need to give it some serious consideration.  Anyway...I didn't go work out until the early afternoon so maybe the extra rest did me some good.  
   
A. hurdle-hop: 3 consecutive x 8; rest 2-3 minutes (allow 1 step)
B. back box squat: 60% x 2 x 8; rest 45 seconds (back down to 60% - focus on exploding out of bottom)
+
kb squat jump, 24kg: 8-8; rest 3 minutes (intent = explosive, high as you can get)
+
5 minutes - easy airdyne
+
8 leg-to-leg bounds x 6; rest as needed (start from standing position)
+
farmer carry: 45 seconds tough x 3; rest 2 minutes
+
3 sets:
12 glute ham raise
15 ghd sit-up
rest 2 minutes

    A. I started the hurdle hops at 30" then 32" then 34 for the last 6 sets.  I've been basically relearning how to jump the past few weeks.  It's incredibly frustrating sometimes to try and learn to approach a jump in a very specific way.  It's not completely intuitive like you might think.  At least it's not for me.  Justin has me breaking these jumps down into smaller segments which, with my little pea brain, seems to be working.
   B. 71kg to a 12" box.  These felt really good and I was focused on being explosive out of the bottom.
   KB jumps and bounds felt really solid as well.
   I used 117lb/hand for the farmers carries and managed all 45 seconds in each set pretty easily.  Truth be told though there was a bit more than 2 minutes between the second and third sets because Justin and I got to talking.
   After all of this I met some friends and saw 24 Hour Party People about Factory Records.  It was pretty fantastic although I still have a hard time sitting still during movies.  I typically have the bladder of a 6 week old puppy, but I managed to make it through this whole film without peeing which might be a PR.  The film takes place in Manchester so everyone talked with these thick accents.  Apparently women dig that shit but it sounds like a lot of mumbling to me.  Unfortunately the American accent doesn't seem to fly in Europe though, which is a drag.  I might need to start faking a British accent or something.  

No comments:

Post a Comment