Tuesday, January 31, 2012

One Step Forward, One Step, Um....Sideways?

     Over the coarse of the last 48 hours I managed to finish a paper for a class I'm taking (towards a second bachelor's degree-this time in Fire Science), battle with ComEd about a bill that I paid that they say I didn't, deal with the bank to prove I paid said bill, crush some back squats, replace two tires on my shit-box car, get a chiropractic adjustment and massage, buy food and cook several huge meals.  After all that I finished my two days off with this little gem:


A. bench press @ 60%: 12-12-12-12; rest 90 seconds
B1. ctb pull-up: 12-15 x 4; rest 10 seconds
B2. ring row off box: 8-10 x 3; rest 2 minutes
C. db or kb press: 8-10/arm x 3; rest 2 minutes
D. ring dip: 12-15 x 3; rest 2 minutes (fast!) 


     If this looks familiar it's probably because it's pretty much the same thing that has been handing me my ass for about three weeks now.  Today was better than before in a few ways and very similar to my last few experiences in others.


   A. 57kg x 12 x 4.
   B1. 15(butterfly), 12(7 butterfly and 5 kip), 12(7 butterfly and 5 kip), 12(7 butterfly and 5 kip)
   B2. 8, 8, 8 (6+1+1)
   C. 45 lb./arm x 10 x 3
   D. 15, 12, 12.


     The first thing to notice is that I finally managed all of the reps in each set of the bench press. The last set was definitely a struggle, especially from reps 7-12, but I was able to push through and get them all.  I also got all of the reps in both arms for the presses.  My left is still generally weaker than my right but, today at least, it caught up.  The ring dips were horrible again, but I think I squeezed out one or two more reps on the last set than last week.  I really struggle to maintain a solid lock out when I near the end with these.
     The real issue here was with parts B1 and B2.  Holy crap!  I stalled and stalled before starting because I knew it was going to be painful.  And guess what?  I was right.  This combination of movements is brutal.  I did manage 15 butterfly chest-to-bar pull-ups in the first set but, after that, those fell off a cliff and I was back to my usual 7+5 routine.  If I was being judged in a competition a few of these might have been "no reps" because I think I missed touching my chest to the bar, especially at the end.  I basically just held on for dear life during the ring rows.  I didn't have a prayer of getting 10 of those and I barely managed 8 on the last set.  
     When I was done I spent some time on my shoulders and pecs with a lacrosse ball but, even after all of that, my arms and chest are killing me right now.  I hope no one at the firehouse minds cutting up my food and feeding me because I have no confidence that I'll be able to do that myself tomorrow.  


We definitely could be training partners.





No comments:

Post a Comment